Your Nav Bar Here

The House-Buying Dilemma

I try to be as self-reflective as humanly possible and there is one thing that I keep coming back to, I'm pretty damn picky.  It annoys my husband to no end - who can blame him, he's weary of buying me gifts that I literally pick out myself, only to have me second guess the choice and then return them.  I'm the queen bee of returns!

Now with shoes, this works out just fine, that's what exchange policies are for (hooray!).  There is one major thing in my near future that my tendencies are not well-equipped for...signing a mortgage.  I'd like to think of my finicky nature in a more positive way, I just really enjoy change!  (or I really am turning into my mother, haha)  Hopping from one apartment to the next is an opportunity for me to switch things up, decorate a new space, try out a new neighborhood - something about a house just seems so darn final?  (nuts, I know)  But as the discussion about kids and our exorbitant rent continues to become more frequent (and dear friends of ours take the plunge), I really need to "get serious" about this VERY adult decision.

I wonder if you know just how particular I am?  I think I can use this post as a sort-of, I-know-I'm-crazy-I'll-share-it-with-you, forum.  The following is a list of things I'm really looking for --- because it is kinda fun to dream, isn't it - heck, what's Pinterest for?!

1.  (the most important of all things) It must be unique.  I cannot live in a byproduct of standard suburbia.  I would rather have a tiny house with loads of character than a huge house with none.  No cookie cutters!: 

Image via TinyWhiteDasies

*Granted, I can create some character myself...

Like paint the front door a super bold color, Image via BH&G


2.  I need a kitchen I can work with, meaning, I get a cute little nook/the ability to change knobs or cabinet color/it doesn't look like it's from the 70's but can look like it's from the 50's:

Image via Tumblr, source unknown.


It can be tiny, it just needs to be cool!  Image via Design Sponge


Nook Cam, Image via BH&G



3.  I've got to have some outdoor space --- with potential!

Image via That Inspirational Girl


Front porch via A Beautiful Mess


4.  A tiny entryway would make me really happy:

I'm going to wallpaper something, Image via BH&G


It can be tiny, just some hooks and bead-board, Image via Design Sponge


5.  A tub, somewhere.  (Clawfoot is optional...I think I can modify that)

Image via Country Living

...and the ability to paint one bathroom a VERY obnoxious color.

Image via BH&G


6.  A mantel, I really want a mantel.  Don't care if the fireplace is functional:

Image via Design Sponge


Image via Decor8


7.  A cozy bedroom space for John and I (with enough closet space):

Image via Country Living


8.  A finished basement for John to play in (if I could decorate it mid-century modern or industrial, I would, doubt I'll be allowed to touch it, haha).  In case you're listening honey:

Image via Little Green Notebook


9.  Pick one of the following: awesome tile, nooks of any kind, non-1990s stained glass, molding, bead-board, wainscoting, copper anything, a sun-room, a screened-in porch, cool barnlighting.  I call it my "wow factor" and I need to point to at least one!


Tile galore!  Image via Free Home Decorating


Indoor porch via BH&G


Schoolhouse Light (could install myself) via Schoolhouse Electric & Supply Co.


10.  Lots of light.  I live somewhere now where everything is like a cave (and it's great for our air conditioning bill), but I need some sun baby!

So much light, Image via Storied and Styled


Image via BH&G


Whew!  Now, keep in mind, I'm a DIY-er.  Theoretically, I can make some of this stuff happen.  I just need to avoid houses with eye-sore details that would be expensive to change.  That's the final issue, we aren't made of money - bummer!

We've been dipping the toe in and poking around at places...nothing has made me "pee-happy" quite yet, but we've got some time.

Oh and whenever we finally take this leap, we'll be getting one of these guys to play with our kittens:

Aussie Shepherd via Pinterest (source unknown)

Thanks for listening!

HUGS!


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. 1. Morris.
    2. A friend for Peach! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of those things are being seriously considered Linds-a-Bell. <3

      Delete